Please consider the following video by Prof. Neil Ferguson.
10 Key Video Points
- 50,000 new cases a day in china
- Infections doubling every 5 days
- Death rate is still unknown
- China likely to peak in March
- Epidemic peak is still a month away
- It will be very hard to control this epidemic the say way we did with SARS 15-20 years ago
- Cases are always underestimated
- Death delays are as long as three weeks
- Reported deaths outside China are not reassuring because of delays
- We still don't know the full effects
Tweet on Containment Strategies
Jim Bianco's Latest Update
Africa Cases Coming
61 Cases on Cruise Ship
Stop the Ridiculous Flu Comparisons
People are still comparing this outbreak with the flu.
60 million people are locked up in China, in their homes. One person is allowed out every three days.
For comparison purposes, the state of california has about 40 million people. Illinois has 13 million. Michigan has 10 million.
So imagine everyone in CA, IL, and MI being locked in their houses, unable to leave other than to buy groceries every three days.
And if you think the reported death count is accurate given 60 million lockups with infections growing by 50,000 per day, you need to think again.
Panic in China
Yesterday, I commented China in State of Panic as Coronavirus Death Toll Rises
Locked In, Literally
China is forcing people into quarantine camps, restricting movement, locking people in their homes (literally), demanding daily temperatures updates from everyone, and now bitching about about travel restrictions of other countries.
Unfortunately, things look to get worse for at least a few more weeks.
Mike "Mish" Shedlock