The Cuomo Covid Coverup Scandal
Please consider the the Cuomo Covid Coverup
Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s top aide privately apologized to Democratic lawmakers for withholding the state’s nursing home death toll from COVID-19 — telling them “we froze” out of fear that the true numbers would “be used against us” by federal prosecutors, The Post has learned.
The stunning admission of a coverup was made by secretary to the governor Melissa DeRosa during a video conference call with state Democratic leaders in which she said the Cuomo administration had rebuffed a legislative request for the tally in August because “right around the same time, [then-President Donald Trump] turns this into a giant political football,” according to an audio recording of the two-hour-plus meeting.
But instead of a mea culpa to the grieving family members of more than 13,000 dead seniors or the critics who say the Health Department spread COVID-19 in the care facilities with a March 25 state Health Department directive that nursing homes admit infected patients, DeRosa tried to make amends with the fellow Democrats for the political inconvenience it caused them.
Nursing Home Report
A Nursing Home Response to COVID-19 Pandemic details the following
- A Larger Number of Nursing Home Residents Died from COVID-19 Than Public DOH Data Reflected
- High Numbers of Deaths at Nursing Homes During the Pandemic Exceeded the Morgue Capacity
- High Volumes of Deaths Citywide Exceeded Capacity of County Medical Examiners and Funeral Homes
- Failure to Isolate COVID-19 Residents Put Residents and Staff at Increased Risk of Harm.
- Lax Employee Screening Put Residents and Staff at Increased Risk of Harm
- Lack of Nursing Home Compliance with Executive Order Requiring Communications with Family Members Caused Avoidable Pain and Distress
- At Least 4,000 Nursing Home Residents Died After the March 25 Guidance on Admission Practices.
- Insufficient personal protective equipment (PPE) for nursing home staff put residents at increased risk of harm
Emmy Award Analysis
This apotheosis was so over the top that Cuomo was awarded an Emmy, for God’s sake, for his press conferences.
Why? He got the award for not being Trump in his competing press conference extravaganzas.
"Gov Andrew M Cuomo of NY will receive the International Emmy Founders Award in recognition of his leadership during the Covid19 pandemic & his masterful use of TV to inform & calm people around the world."
What a hoot.
Recall that Al Gore got a Nobel price for producing a documentary just because he was not W.
Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize just weeks into his first term also for not being W. Obama then went on a drone strike rampage as bad as W's but the press did not talk about that.
Today, Fauci got a $1 million award for “defending science.” Essentially this was a political award for his tussling with Trump.
A half-baked apology is not close to being sufficient. Cuomo should stand down or be impeached.
As with Trump the likelihood a Democratic legislature removes Cuomo is slim. New York is a one-party state like California and Illinois.
What about a criminal investigation or civil lawsuits?
I support those too.
Inability to convict Trump is not a good reason for Democrats in Albany to sweep this under the rug.