- “This conduct by the president is not only dangerous, it’s reckless,” said Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), the assistant minority leader.
- “If true, deeply disturbing,” tweeted Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).
- “To compromise a source is something that you just don’t do,” said Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
- “If it’s true, it’d be troubling,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.)
- Colleagues chatting on the chamber floor as news broke were either “astonished or appalled,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.)
- “It is absolutely terrifying,” Blumenthal said. “It’s another example of the free press uncovering stuff that the American people should know that hopefully will cause an outcry and outrage that will have some cumulative effect in protecting our democracy.”
White House Out of Control
In addition, Corker stated Trump was out of control.
Schumer Demands Trump Hand Over Transcript of Meeting
Politico reports Schumer Demands Transcript of Trump-Russia Meeting.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) urged the White House to release unedited transcripts from President Donald Trump’s meeting with top Russian officials last week to Capitol Hill following reports that Trump shared highly classified information with the two men.
“Until the administration provides the unedited transcript, until the administration fully explains the facts of this case, the American people will rightly doubt if their president can handle our nation’s most closely kept secrets,” Schumer said in a floor speech Tuesday morning.
“If the reporting is accurate, in one fell swoop, the president could have unsettled our allies, emboldened our adversaries, endangered our military and intelligence officers the world over, and exposed our nation to greater risk,” Schumer said. “Given the gravity of the matter, we need to be able to quickly assess whether or not this report is true and what exactly was said.”
The super-hysterical were calling for impeachment.
- Fox News reports Congressional Dems making early calls for Trump’s impeachment
- Salon writer Matthew Rozsa says Impeachment may be a real possibility for Donald Trump
“Our mantra should be I.T.N—Impeach Trump Now,” said Rep. Al Green, D-Texas.
“President Trump is not above the law. He has committed an impeachable act and must be charged. To do otherwise would cause some Americans to lose respect for, and obedience to, our societal norms,” said Green.
High on Stupidity
Matthew Roza is high on something, most likely sheer stupidity. Rep Green is in outer space.
What exactly did Trump do?
Let’s start with what Trump did NOT do: Release classified information. The president can declassify anything he wants.
This is what he allegedly did do: Trump discussed with Russia, an ISIS plot to blow up planes with computers.
In response to the plot (the public knew about in March), airlines banned laptops from some transatlantic flight.
Yesterday, ABC News reported EU, US to meet Wednesday over in-flight laptop ban.
Too Much Classified Information?
I posed that question in Classified Bombshell Hyperventilation.
For the record, I disagree with Trump on NAFTA, free trade in general, the Wall, his immigration order, and numerous other things.
However, talking with Russia makes sense, warmongering with Russia over Syria doesn’t.
Question of the Day
People ought to be terrified when we don’t share information. Look at numerous terrorist attacks in Europe because countries did not share information and did not act on information that was shared.
Also look at the results when the NSA chose to hide vulnerabilities in the Windows operating system instead of sharing the findings with Microsoft.
For discussion, of what happens when you hide things, please consider WannaCry Cyber Attack Hits 99 Countries, FedEx, Nissan, Hospitals, Universities with NSA Developed Malware: Five Questions.
Here’s a followup post: Microsoft Blasts NSA, CIA for “Stockpiling Vulnerabilities”: Criminal Negligence by NSA?
In Praise of Talking
I praise Trump for talking with Russia. It’s one of few things he has done right. Ironically, it’s the thing he is most attacked over.
Thank the clueless media and clueless demagogues from both parties for the hype.
Those who find sharing ISIS information with Russia “Terrifying, Reckless, and Deeply Disturbing” need to get their heads out of their asses.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock