Myths vs Reality
- Myth: Manufacturing Jobs Pay Well
- Myth: Most of the Openings are in Low Wage Jobs
- Reality: Manufacturing jobs average only $18.09 per hour
- Reality: Of the 6,381 listed openings above 2,437 pay < $25 per hour on average
- Reality: Of the 6,381 listed openings above 3,944 pay > $29 per hour on average
- Reality: Of the 6,381 listed openings above 2,505 pay > $32 per hour on average
The job openings are from the BLS JOLTs Report as of April 2021. Wage data is from the BLS Employment Report as of May 2021.
Job Openings in Thousands
Job Openings in Thousands Detail
Average Hourly Earnings by Job Classification
There are plenty of job openings, many at good hourly rates. However, the higher the average rate, the higher the skill level required.
Education and Health Services consists of a combination of low, average, and high paying jobs. Nurses would be on the high end and social service workers on the low end while education runs the gamut based on specialty and location.
The two highest average hourly rates, information and financial activities respectively, have the fewest openings and require the highest skill levels.
Job Openings Hit a New Record High in Huge Struggle For Workers
This post adds details to my previous post, Job Openings Hit a New Record High in Huge Struggle For Workers
Huge Upward Wage Pressures for Both Skilled and Unskilled Labor
The struggle for workers puts a Huge Upward Wage Pressures for Both Skilled and Unskilled Labor.
Right now, if someone wants a job there is likely an opening somewhere, not necessarily at the hourly rate one believes they deserve.
Like these reports? I hope so, and if you do, please Subscribe to MishTalk Email Alerts.
Subscribers get an email alert of each post as they happen. Read the ones you like and you can unsubscribe at any time.
If you have subscribed and do not get email alerts, please check your spam folder.