Inquiring minds are digging into the Michigan Statewide COVID-19 Poll for economic and political impacts.
President Trump COVID-19 Approval at 44%
- Republicans approve of his handling by a margin of 88%-9%.
- Democrats disapprove of his handling by a margin of 6%-86%.
- Independent voters disapprove of his handling by a margin of 40%-52%.
- Men approve of his handling 49%-46%.
- But women disapprove of his handling by a margin of 39%-54%.
Governor Whitmer COVID-19 Approval at 57%
- Democrats approve of her handling by a margin of 89%-8%.
- Republicans disapprove of her handling by a margin of 22%-70%.
- But Independent voters approve of her handing by a margin of 56%-35%.
- Men approve of her handling 49%-42%.
- Women strongly approve of her handling by a margin of 64%-32%.
This poll is interesting in light of Trump Tweets encouraging uprisings.
I discussed the above Tweets in Huge Battle Over Covid-19 Tests and Trump's Liberation Tweets.
Once again Trump plays to his base with such tactics. But his base is going nowhere.
Nearly everyone except those who would always vote for Trump anyway is at least somewhat uncomfortable with such divisive tactics.
All Trump had to do to win in 2020 was act like a President instead of a partisan clown.
He cannot do it because he thrives on the adulation he gets from rabid supporters who will always vote for him anyway.
This message comes from someone who voted for Trump in 2016.
Neither the extreme Left who believes the Democrats need a Progressive candidate to win, nor the Ever-Trump Right, understands what I just said.
The swing voters, independents, and anti-Hillary voters are why Trump won in 2016 and they are why Trump will lose in 2020, assuming Biden makes a sensible choice for VP that independents can back.
35% Face Major Loss in Michigan Poll
The results of the poll are all the more interesting because the same poll shows 35% Face Major Loss in Michigan Poll
- 29% of respondents are furloughed, laid off, or unable to work.
- 27.3% of respondents that were working prior to the outbreak have been forced to file for unemployment.
- 42.6% of respondents that were working prior to the outbreak, are now furloughed, laid off, or unable to work.
- 69% of furloughed or laid-off workers face catastrophic to major financial impact.
- 28% of respondents are worried about putting food on the table.
- The majority of respondents, 50%, believe Michigan is already in a recession.
I calculate Michigan's unemployment rate close to 30% as discussed in the above link.
Yet, despite the layoffs, furloughs, and Trump mischief, Michigan voters prefer the Governor over Trump, and dramatically so.
The Question of the Day, Everyday
Who's to blame Today?