With that Tweet, Caitlin Johnson embraced Marxist ideology that is proven idiocy. Let's discuss precisely why, in detail, with real world examples.
WDeet hit upon the basic idea. The fact is, without capitalists building homes, Caitlin would not have a place to live.
She wants a house or a piece of yours. And she proposes taking it of having the government taking it.
Why build a house if people like Caitlin could come along and demand a piece of the ownership or their own house for free?
There would not be a house for Caitlin to steal were it not for capitalists.
Land Grab Examples
Q: Has what Caitlin proposed ever been tried?
A: Yes, of course, and the result was hyperinflation every time.
A: Venezuela confiscated oil and private property. So did Zimbabwe.
Q: Didn't the US harm Venezuela with sanctions?
A: Yes, and I disagree with sanctions but Venezuela's fate was sealed once the Marxists confiscated the country's sole source of income, oil.
Q: What happened in Zimbabwe?
A: A redistribution land grab, precisely of the kind that Marxists support.
Wikipedia provides a nice Historical Context of Zimbabwe Hyperinflation.
- On 18 April 1980, the Republic of Zimbabwe was born from the unrecognized Republic of Rhodesia. The Rhodesian Dollar was replaced by the Zimbabwean dollar at par value. When Zimbabwe gained its independence from the United Kingdom, the newly introduced Zimbabwean Dollar was initially more valuable than the United States Dollar at the official exchange rates
- From 1991 to 1996, the Zimbabwean ZANU-PF President Robert Mugabe embarked on an Economic Structural Adjustment Programme (ESAP) that had serious negative effects on Zimbabwe's economy.
- In the late 1990s, the government instituted land reforms intended to evict white landowners and place their holdings in the hands of black farmers. However, many of these "farmers" had no experience or training in farming. Many farms simply fell into disrepair or were given to Mugabe loyalists.
- From 1999 to 2009, the country experienced a sharp drop in food production and in all other sectors. The banking sector also collapsed, with farmers unable to obtain loans for capital development.
- Food output capacity fell 45%, manufacturing output 29% in 2005, 26% in 2006 and 28% in 2007, and unemployment rose to 80%.
- Life expectancy dropped. Whites fled the country en masse taking much of the nation's capital.
- Marxists takes over and redistribute property in the name of fairness.
- The wealthy flee
- The intellectuals free
- Production collapses
- Zimbabwe's peak month of inflation is estimated at 79.6 billion percent month-on-month, 89.7 sextillion percent year-on-year in mid-November 2008
Money and human capital are guaranteed to flee in such circumstances.
What About the US Constitution?
Good question. The US constitution guarantees property rights and human rights. It is the reason the US leads the world in many areas.
But can't the government give away free houses?
Well, Caitlin and other economic illiterates propose government just take them but then who would maintain them and build news ones as the population grows?
If the government could just come along and take everything, who would dare risk production and maintenance other than the government?
What about jobs?
I suppose her answer would be more "free" money from the government. But resources does the government have other than taxation and theft? Anyone with money or intelligence would flee a Marxist state just as happened in Marxist meccas like Venezuela and Zimbabwe.
The government has no real intelligence or resources. It is capitalists willing to take a risk and build things such as the apartment that Caitlin lives in, that she wants to steal.
Look at what happened to oil production in Venezuela after the Marxists took over. One of the most oil rich nations in the world is actually short of oil.
Capitalists, not governments and especially not Marxists have a skin in the game. They take risks to make a profit.
Road to Serfdom - Hayek
- Socialism is a hypocritical system, because its professed humanitarian goals can only be put into practice by brutal methods "of which most socialists disapprove.
- Such centralized systems also require effective propaganda, so that the people come to believe that the state's goals are theirs.
Caitlin is a willing part of Marxist propaganda. There's more Marxists than you might think.
The Black Lives Matter movement was founded by self-described Marxists. The goal is not a catchy "Black Lives Matter" phrase but something far more sinister.
People get sucked into the movement on a catchy phrase without the slightest clue what the organization is really after.
Why Follow Marxists?
- I follow many people I disagree with. I would rather see what nonsense they post and how effective they are at promoting it than to pretend such dangerous thinking does not exist.
- One might not know it from that preposterous Tweet, but when Caitlin focuses on anti-war rants, she has some good commentary.
Irony of the Day
Marxists fools think profits are not important and they openly embrace theft.
But those profits create the homes that US Marxists live in, with the Marxists bitching every step of the way about the unfairness of rent.
The idiotic idea of the century is taking houses and redistributing them.
There has never been a successful Marxist county and never will for reasons that should be obvious.
Like these reports? I hope so, and if you do, please Subscribe to MishTalk Email Alerts.
Subscribers get an email alert of each post as they happen. Read the ones you like and you can unsubscribe at any time.
If you have subscribed and do not get email alerts, please check your spam folder.